We are Critical Media - a full service creative agency based in Bournemouth on the south coast of England delivering clever brand, print and digital solutions.
Established in 2008, we've grown from strength to strength and have a wide and varied client base encompassing a wealth of business types, sectors and industries. We believe our success is down to the simple formula that if you 'do the job well, it won't remain a secret'.
Primarily a design house, we specialise in intelligent, design solutions right across the creative mix and encompassing all types of delivery. We believe in good design - this is what motivates us and what we feel is at the core of every project we undertake, be it design for: print, for an advertising campaign, for the web, for a magazine, for an html email, for a bespoke CMS, for a shop front etc.
And from this, add in our hugely talented team of creative thinkers with heaps of experience in print management and buying, web development & coding, CMS creation, project management, digital & traditional marketing, social networking etc and there you have a heady mix of expertise and passion, all in a lovely Critical Media shaped solution.
In a nutshell, we love what we do and we think you will love what we can do for you..
Meet the team
The Critical team has a diverse range of creative, technical & management skills and love coming to work to immerse themselves in all things design...
Creative & Managing Director
Dougal set Critical Media up in 2008 with a straightforward notion "I simply wanted to launch a really good creative brand and run it the way I think a company should be run".
With a long background in print and digital design and a creative spirit honed over the years scratching away on his guitar & piano, he's definitely the one who makes the least coffee.
- I'm addicted to: Cheese - I'll do anything for cheese
- I'm critical of: Bad manners and profanity, I f@*kin hate profanity!
- My guilty pleasure is: monkey rolls
- I was going to be: A train driving astronaut rockstar
- When I'm not director-ing: Cycling, spending time with my lovely family, snowboarding, cycling some more, dining out, undertaking foreign adventures, eating cheese & carrying out wine experiments
Based in Jersey, David joins us as a result of the coming together of Critical Media & Fluent Web Solutions, which means we are now able to offer our clients high-end and complex technical solutions.
Cool, calm and collected, David is our digital guru, who also just happens to be an expert in Karate so we're all on our best behaviour!
- I'm addicted to: Nice 'n' Spicy Nik Naks and Pickled Onion Monster Munch
- I'm critical of: The over use of analogies, it's tedious, a bit like eating the same flavour crisps all the time.
- My guilty pleasure is: Smacking shrink wrapped chickens at the super market.
- I was going to be: James Bond
- When I'm not directoring-ing: I'm Surfing, snowboarding, skateboarding, cycling or spending time somewhere in France in the camper van with my family.
Our first foreign signing! Although Lee isn't from overseas, he certainly looks like he's from somewhere special - a fabulously creative mind housed under some bonkers hair.
With an agency background, Lee has a real understanding of how elements and colours work together and brings a lot of design know-how to the company taking care of both our digital and print clients in equal measure.
- I'm addicted to: Things in jars; eggs, jam, heads etc... and coffee.
- I'm critical of: Dougal whistling like someone's stamping on a fish with big lips to the tune of Copacabana when it's supposed to be something by the Keiser Chiefs.
- My guilty pleasure is: Running naked in the rain.
- I was going to be: A Gerbil. Reincarnation can be cruel and break you heart. Lesson learned.
- When I'm not designing: Tickling mimes with a feather.
Mike came to us from somewhere in the depths of Dorset and has bought with him a heap of design potential, an incomprehensible ability to draw (...like, anything!!!), the odd burst of song and a good understanding of how the coffee machine works.
Mike takes care of all the fiddly jobs and is generally the icing on the cake for a lot of our clients.
- I'm addicted to: Coffee, guitar, cigarettes, and noodles.
- I'm critical of: Bad manners, ignorance and One Direction.
- My guilty pleasure is: Playing on the PS3 when I should be washing up.
- I was going to be: An archeologist... obviously.
- When I'm not designing: Chilling out with the other half, reading, drawing, playing guitar, going out and not sleeping enough (usually in that order).
Front End Developer
With a fiece eye for the asthetic and a penchant for talking us through his day, Jake brings a whole heap of creativity to coding our lovely creations!
Jake also likes to mix it up a little with how he gets to the office; sometimes by car, sometimes via a lift and sometimes, on the worlds smallest bicycle!
Front End Developer
- I'm addicted to: Anything two wheeled and I can ride up or (mainly) down; mountains, hills, buildings…
- I'm critical of: Inconsistency and pointless things; clothing for animals, reality tv, pop music…
- My guilty pleasure is: Marzipan
- I was going to be: Artist
- When I'm not programming: Spending lots of time with my family, whilst trying to fit in riding bikes and generally being outside.
Lukas also joins us from Fluent Web Solutions, bringing with him an encyclopaedic knowledge of all things technical!
Lukas has over 7 years experience in MS .net technologies and is a fully certified Microsoft developer, but never shies away from an opportunity to learn something new. We could do with cloning Lukas, we are just waiting for him to figure out how!
- I'm addicted to: Black Sabbath, metal music, travel, guitars, gadgets and food!
- I'm critical of: Double-faced, self-centred individuals and boy bands.
- My guilty pleasure is: Rocking out to metal while driving \m/ \m/
- I was going to be: A doctor
- When I'm not programming: Jamming, gaming, swimming, eating or chilling with a pint of lager.
Office Manager / Receptionist
Debs joined the team on a permanent basis in April 2013. Not only does she have a fantastic telephone manner and is great with clients, Debs also loves bringing in the odd freshly home-made yummy baked treat!
This is a career change for Debs having worked in Bournemouth Hospital for 9 years (2 of which were in A&E), so she has seen and heard it all- which is probably a good thing having to now work closely with the guys in studio!
Office Manager / Receptionist
- I'm addicted to: any variety of Quorn :), watching Casualty and 24hours in A&E (all together would be a perfect night in!)
- I'm critical of: Badly made cups of tea
- My guilty pleasure is: Dancing in my kitchen
- I was going to be: A pop star, Pocahontas or failing that an office manager at Critical Media
- When I'm not manager-ing: I'm looking after my lovely family, walking Ellie the dog, listening to Dougal's awful whistling and making cakes.
Ellie The Dog
Ellie mainly follows Dougal into work, wags her tail at the slightest provocation and then slumps into her bed, worn out from all the afore mentioned emotion.
Her laidback approach to office life is only tempered by her desire to head off home at 6 o'clock sharp to tuck into a well earned bowl of dog stuff.
Ellie The Dog
- I'm addicted to: Wagging my tail, sleeping
- I'm critical of: Slightly bigger dogs
- My guilty pleasure is: Human food (it's heaps nicer than mine)
- I was going to be: A theoretical physicist
- When I'm not dog(ging), you can find me: Haring around Queens Park Golf Course, poo-ing in the garden, sleeping, making friends and flapping my ears about.
How about your lovely face here?
This could be you...
We're always on the lookout for exceptional people who subscribe to our way of thinking to join our merry team. Needless to say, the more you're able to bring to our party, the more we would like to chat with you.
Send us an email using the link below to register your interest or visit our Careers page and fill in the form. You will also be able to view all current available positions there too.
We are always on the lookout for exceptional people to join the exceptional people we have. Whether you design, develop, collaborate, manage or administrate, there could well be an opportunity at Critical Media for you. Our people are our greatest asset and if you think you have something special to bring to our party, we'd love you to join us.
Send us an email with your C.V and tell us all about what you'll do to make us even more smashing!